Bellwether Farm - Camp, Retreat, and Education Center offers a model for sustainable living that promotes physical and spiritual wellness, fidelity to the environment, and social justice by incorporating farming, food production, and environmental stewardship into land-based educational programs for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Located in Wakeman, Ohio, in the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, Bellwether Farm provides sacred space that awakens our senses to all that is possible in God’s creation and inspires us to live more lightly on the earth. It is a place where we teach and model a stewardship that conserves, protects, and deepens the integrity and biodiversity of that which God has provided us in this precious gift.
Through the integration of service, learning, worship, and play, we strive to foster a sense of community that reaches beyond the traditional limits of our churches to serve people across the region in a transformational way.
Program and Camp Director
This position is full-time and year-round. The Program and Camp Director will join the leadership team at Bellwether Farm and work closely with the farmer, chef, and office administrator, with principal responsibility for year-round program development for a broad range of participants and the overall staffing and operation of summer camp. The Program and Camp Director will report to the Transitional Director of Bellwether Farm.
- Work with other Bellwether Farm and Bishop’s Staff colleagues to develop appropriate programming throughout the year that coincides with the mission of Bellwether, leveraging gifts of communicants from across the Diocese to offer opportunities that may include the farm, fields, and kitchen.
- Work with diocesan, parish, school, and community leaders to develop and host appropriate programming and events
- Coordinate and assist in programming with the parishes and groups of the Diocese of Ohio, including parish days, youth events, and retreats.
- Build relationships with schools and organizations, coordinate and assist in field trips, retreats, and other educational opportunities.
- Responsible for hiring, orienting, and supervising counselors for six weeks in June and July.
- Lead all summer camp operations, including:
- Organize and direct camper recruitment at Diocesan parishes, local schools, and Bellwether open houses
- Update and oversee camp registration, policies, and procedures
- Maintain accurate files and records
- Recruit and train counselors and staff in relationships with parishes and universities
- Develop curriculum and content, schedules and calendars
- Oversee facilities and equipment, including “opening” and “closing” the camp facilities seasonally
- Work closely with the Bellwether director, chaplain, farmer, and chef, to create a holistic camp experience
- Work closely with Diocesan Communications Office to keep the website updated, develop and publish literature, etc.
- Oversee and manage camp budget
- Maintain “Safe Church” policies for the prevention of abuse
- Creative experience in program development
- Camp experience
- Ability to build and lead a multi-generational teams
- Commitment to spirituality, community, and sustainability
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Team player able to juggle multiple priorities
This is a full-time position that includes health/dental and pension benefits. Compensation is commensurate with experience. It is expected that the Program and Camp Director would live on-site during the summer camp season.
Submit resume with cover letter:
The Rt. Rev. Whayne Hougland, Jr.
4655 N. State Rte. 60
Wakeman, OH 44889